The Difference Between Whey Protein And Whey Protein Isolate – What You Should Know

The supplement industry is packed with an array of alternatives, making it hard to know what to take and what to avoid. Even the things you used to know have been altered and might not have the same quality they used to.

Therefore, it is important to do your homework and know your product well. In this article, we will explore the difference between whey protein and whey protein isolate and the one you should consume.

What Is Whey Protein

Most protein found in powders, drinks, and protein bars is extracted from milk. When milk goes through processing to make yogurt or cheese, the liquid left behind is known as whey. The liquid has fast-digesting proteins known as whey protein.

Before milk is processed, around 20% of protein contains whey, while the remaining 80% is mostly slower-digesting casein proteins. Both casein and whey are regarded as high-quality proteins since they have all sorts of amino acids that your body needs to function optimally.

Compared to casein, whey is known to be more beneficial because it enhances the production of newer proteins in the muscle. There is a wide range of whey proteins used in supplements, with the two main ones being whey protein (whey concentrate) and whey protein isolate. The two are produced slightly differently and have varying nutrients.

The Difference Between Whey Isolate and Whey Concentrate

There are quite some differences between the nutritional content of whey isolate and whey concentrate. These variations are mainly caused by different processing methods. In case the liquid whey is extracted as a by-product of yogurt or cheese production, it is put through many processes to enhance its overall protein content.

Once the required amount of protein has been arrived at, the liquid is then dried to create what is known as the whey concentrate powder. This one is made up of at around 80% protein by weight. The other 20% of the product is made up of fats and carbohydrates.

If different processing techniques are applied to reduce the levels of fat and carbohydrates in whey, it becomes possible to produce an isolate powder that contains around 90% protein by weight. You can now see that the processing method employed can be used to determine the amount of protein in whey powder.

You should note that while the two types of whey might have different amounts of proteins, they do have identical amino acids because they are derived from the same source.

Besides having slightly lower carbohydrate content, the whey isolate also has a low level of lactose. This implies that it might serve as an ideal choice for those with a high degree of lactose intolerance.

The Two Have Similar Benefits

According to quite a number of studies, whey protein is the best choice for active individuals, also known as athletes. A source cites that many exercising individuals who take whey protein experience a massive improvement in mass strength and lean

Despite the difference in nutritional contents, there is no concrete scientific proof to indicate that the two types of proteins will have different impacts on your body. When it comes to protein, the only thing that matters is the amount you take each day.

It has also been pointed out that people should consider taking proteins from high-quality sources such as eggs, dairy, and poultry.

Before you despise anything, both whey concentrate and isolate are good sources of protein, which is why it is okay to expect similar results from them as long as equal amounts of the two are consumed.

Having said that, those willing to limit the intake of lactose, carbohydrates, or fats can choose the whey isolate since it has lower levels of the three components compared to the whey concentrate.

You should have it in mind that most supplements out there have combinations of both whey isolate and whey concentrate, so it is really hard to escape either of the two.

How To Choose The Right Protein Powder

To pick the right protein powder, whether concentrate or isolate, it is vital to always go for the supplements with minimal sugar and other additives. Some manufacturers are known to add artificial sweeteners and fillers that might provide no nutritional value to consumers and might end up causing some health complications.

It is possible to add your own smoothies or flavors to get the taste you want instead of consuming something you don’t know much about. When adding sweeteners, you must only use products that have been tested and approved for safety by trusted bodies. These include shakes, leafy greens, berries, etc.

Suppose you want to try a new supplement because you suspect they might have the nutrients your body needs, be sure to go through the label. Unless you are fully aware of the ingredients used to formulate the product, you must avoid ingesting it.

Also, make an effort to talk to your nutritionist before adding a strange supplement to your routine. Do not go against their advice if they ask you to avoid using the product.

The Bottom Line

Whey protein contains a lot of fast-digesting proteins and is quite common in dietary supplements. The main common types are the whey concentrate and the whey isolate. Compared to whey concentrate, whey isolate tends to undergo different processing, which is why it contains more proteins with low content of fat and carbs per serving.

We hope that this article helps you understand the difference between whey protein and whey protein isolate. Though they do have similar effects on the users' body, you can make your selection based on what best suits your current preference. Kindly let us know in the comments if you have any questions about whey protein and whey protein isolate.

Leave a Comment:

Leave a Comment: