Do you know that a study examining fitness equipment found that a dumbbell has 362 times more germs and bacteria than a toilet seat? That means touching these equipment exposes you to millions of germs and bacteria. This is why having the best gym towels for sweat is a must.
What Are The Advantages of Having A Gym Towel?
It is practical to assume that part of the reason why you go to the gym is to take care of your health. This is why choosing a towel should depend on your own unique needs. Despite this, however, there are universal reasons why it is important to invest in a high quality gym towel.
They Control Germs and Bacteria from Spreading
There is no doubt about the fact that germs are everywhere especially in gyms where sweaty people use the facilities without washing up. Having a gym towel to wipe your face and hands on, will minimize your chances of getting exposed to different kinds of infections such as fungi, salmonella, and E. coli among others.
They Help Stay and Feel Clean.
Feeling clean is as important as the sanitary reasons for owning a gym towel. When you’re all sweaty and hot, wiping your face with your hands is a very bad idea. Aside from bacteria, sweat buildup also clog your pores that may result to pimples. A clean towel to wipe your face while exercising is the best way to keep you clean and dry.
They Keep your Body Temperature Cool.
Increasing body temperature is a biophysical reaction that comes naturally with an increasing heart rate. When this happens, sweating profusely adds to the discomfort and heat. This is why simply wiping your sweat off your face with a clean towel makes a big difference.
How to Choose a Good Workout Towel?
Soft and durable are two qualities that most people go for in choosing a gym towel. However, it is also important to consider qualities like absorbency, material, and size and weight
The main purpose of a towel is to absorb sweat. One way to determine absorbency is to check its loops. The more loops within the fabric, the more absorbent it is. However, this does not mean you need a full bath towel since the ones that you need for the gym will keep you dry, but not too thick that it retains bacteria or adds extra bulge in your gym bag
The most ideal and common material for gym towels is cotton. They dry easily and they are highly absorbent. Other materials to consider include bamboo, cotton-polyester blends, linen, and microfiber.
Size and Weight
Fabric density determine the weight of the towel. The lighter ones are thinner and are cheaper, but they easily wear down. Heavier towels are more ideal as far as absorbency is concerned. However, they also trap moisture and trap bacteria if not washed or dried properly.
What are the Pre-requisites in Caring for Your Towels?
Since washing workout towels after every use is a must, they are prone to grow old and threadbare quickly if not properly cared for. This is why it is important to read the instructions for proper maintenance and follow these tips.
Do not reuse unwashed towels since, as your sweat rag, they are guaranteed to contain bacteria. You also want them to smell nice next time you wipe your face with it. See to it you wash them consistently to get rid of mold, fungal infections, odors, and bacteria.
Avoid Fabric Softeners
One component of fabric softener is silicon, which prevents the towel’s fabric from absorbing liquid. As much as possible, stick with your laundry detergent and leave fabric softener out. However, if you badly need to use it, a small amount should be okay.
Using The Magic of Baking Soda
Do you know that baking soda when added to detergent helps keep fabrics fresh and soft? Aside from this, it is also effective in loosening up the fibers and removing odors that build up in towels after a long period of use.
Vinegar Is Magical Too.
Vinegar, when used once a month, helps remove excess detergent and odors. Add a small amount to the rinse cycle to help restore the fabric’s absorbency.
Top Five Best Gym Towels for Sweat
Now that you know the advantages of owning a gym towel and how to properly care for it, it’s time to review the top five products available in the market today.
These towels are multifunctional for sports practices, outdoor excursions, or just regular routine workouts. The materials are finely woven so it is highly absorbent and smooth to the skin. This product is machine washable and easy to maintain.
- Small enough to fit in the treadmill or elliptical trainer’s cup holder
- Easily foldable, but still very soft and highly absorbent
- Ultra-light and dries easily
- Has evaporative cooling technology so the surface is cooler
- The edges are stitched tightly so it stays durable and neat
- Suede fabric makes it versatile for different purposes
- Size is small, not for everyone who prefers otherwise
- Not intended to be a yoga mat towel as the materials slips along the mat
- The material may feel sharp or scratchy for people with sensitive skin
This towel dries easily and is so compact that you don’t have to worry about bulky bags. It is also made of high quality woven fabric making it comfortable to the skin and durable for regular wash and use. This microfiber towel also comes with a cylinder shaped bag that is both convenient and fashionable.
- Quickly dries sweat, best used with yoga mats
- Quickly absorbs bodily moisture
- Cools quickly to regulate high body temperature during workouts
- Has anti-bacterial properties to prevent germs, mold, and odor
- Can be folded and turned into a pillow
- Too big to be draped around your neck during workouts
- Towel’s color may bleed into other fabrics ( it is a rare occurrence)
This towel works whether you wish to carry it around your neck or cover enough equipment surface to protect you from bacteria and dirt. Stylish grey design with silky white border fits both men and women. This towel is super light weighing only 5.03oz and stretches for about 44” X 16.5”.
- Comfortably dries sweat and covers gym surfaces, machines, and benches
- Style suits both men and women – comes in gray waffle design
- Made of high quality microfiber material that makes it soft, absorbent, lightweight, odor-free, and easy to dry
- Comes with a soft hang loop
- Washing labels have been removed to avoid skin irritation
- Perfect size to carry around during workouts
- Has been reported to be quite abrasive during washing
- Gray color may bleed to other fabrics during washing
This towel is 24 X 72 inches long and is made of high quality microfiber materials. Size is enough to cover most yoga mat surfaces. It is machine washable with durable edge stitching so it stays intact no matter how often you wash it.
- Anti-slip yoga towel that absorbs liquids quite well for confidence and stability
- Aside from the gym, this can also be used for hiking, golfing, cycling, swimming, travelling, showering, and backpacking
- Easy maintenance, machine washable
- Reasonably priced
- Adds layer of support for different yoga poses
- Does not have the usual synthetic smell
- Towel is slippery when dry
- May bunch up during transition practices
- Needs to be dampened before it sticks to the yoga mat
- Not the right size to be carried around the gym during workout
Northbound offers this item in a microfiber set that includes a face and hand, hair, beach, and extra large bath towels. The set comes with a durable mesh bag that makes it easy to carry around. Whether you use it for the outdoors or for the gym, this product is versatile and can live up to expectations.
- Lives up to its design to absorb 8x more water
- Super compact and lightweight
- Can be packed in small spaces and leave more room for clothes, shoes, etc
- Stays fresh and bacteria-free after consistent use
- Comes with Zinc Oxide coating that prevents the fabric from getting stinky as it repels germs
- Stays fresh and clean for a longer time
- They offer a set so you can use a particular size for a specific purpose
- Versatile for different purposes and functions
- Can be costly for people working on a budget
- Needs proper maintenance. Check the washing instructions
And the Winner Is…
Northbound Train takes home the prize for this review of best gym towels for sweat. While all the other products mentioned here are worth your money, you have to give it to Northbound for coming up with different sizes for different use. The fact that it absorbs 8x more water is awesome as well.
This product has all the key factors in choosing a good towel as mentioned above. It is a bit more expensive than the others, but it is absolutely worth the investment.
Hope this review helped you in shopping for the best gym towels in the market today. If it did, it would be awesome if you could like this post and share it to your gym buddies. Surely, they’ll appreciate it!